Well...yesterday I met with my surgeon for the first time. Dr. Lim. Very nice man, and as part of the initial meeting, we have to discuss both surgeries, the positives and negatives of each...and if I picked one so far, why. Well, I told him that I was leaning very heavily in the way of the Lap Band...and he asked me why. My biggest reason was because of the risk of malnutrition with pregnancy. I guess (and I have read many studies since yesterday that backs him up) that after surgery, within about 18 months, your body recognizes that it needs to find new ways to absorb the nutrients, and with the proper suppliments it really isn't an issue.
I know that the weight loss is more drastic and faster with the bypass...I know that over all patients lose about 10% more weight over time than the band...I know that if you eat a lot of sweets and high fatty foods that you get dumping...
I guess my question is, how did you know that the Band was right for you? What made you ladies get the band over the bypass? Was it the fear?
Because I also know that with the band, I will be able to eat ice cream (cuz it slides thru) and other things like that. There have been people that 'eat thru' their band and end up gaining it all back, and some lose nothing at all. I have a rocky relationship with this perverbial wagon, and I tend to be really really gung-ho in the beginning, and I will even take a turn driving it, but then sometimes I fall off...HARD. Like, not even fall...I just jump off the damn wagon.
I am having these thoughts because I guess the reason why I was so against the bypass proves to not be an issue. How do I know what is right for me? I am at a loss right now...
ANY advice would be awesome!
OH...and I am down a total of 11 pounds and 6" on my waist. Ben said I am doing VERY well...he put in for my psych consult, and should see them when I come back from vacation (which I leave for at 9PM Hawaii Time tonight).
Thanks ahead of time!
xoxox,
Nikki
I can only speak for myself of course. But I had a Cousin that had the Bypass back in the 80's & she lost a LOT of weight! Unfortunately she didn't keep it off. So even Bypass patients can regain the weight.
ReplyDeleteNow my Surgeon tried to talk me into the Bypass as well, since I am technically a grazer & I love sweets. He said that if I get the Bypass, I will no longer be eating sweets (or very little at least) as eating them causes you to dump big time!!
But my Primary Care Physician was REALLY against me having the Bypass!! He said that if I saw all the patients that he sees in the Hospital that had the Bypass, I would not do it. He basically BEGGED me not to, "mess with my internal plumbing".
So this made us rethink the Surgery & after careful thinking & reading many posts from patients that had had the Bypass & wished they never did, as it caused them many physical problems. And if you are one that has problems, you will always be sickly & ill, etc.
So my DH & I came to the conclusion that I should have the Lap Band. As it doesn't require removing or rearranging your internal organs either. Also, it is reversible if necessary. And has a much lower incidence of complications.
So the long story short, I decided to get the Lap Band. Also, my Surgeon said that over the course of 2-3 years, most Lap Band patients lose about the same amount of weight as the Bypass patients. It just takes longer for most.
But I do understand your dilemma. You have your Surgeon telling you that the Bypass is better for you & you will lose the weight faster. Well, you will initially lose weight faster, then it slows down, just like for us Bandster's.
But it is YOUR choice, whatever you decide will be the right choice for you. And if you choose the Bypass, keep on blogging. I will read you even if you did have a different Surgery!! Losing weight is losing weight!!
So, have a safe flight to Florida & have a great Christmas & New Year!!
For me the decision to get hte band was easy.
ReplyDeleteMy mom had the bypass done about 6/7 years ago and the first one got botched - she ended up with a nasty staph infection. They had to leave her stomach incision open and they put this pump thing with "scartchy" material inside her wound, and it sucked out all the nasty stuff. It was beyond painful for her, she was sent home with a nurse (and us) to care for it. She had it for 6-8 weeks (it's been a long time since I've thought about it), bed bound until he got closer to healing. The vaccuum sucked the wound closed a tiny bit at a time until it was finally healed.
Then she had to get the bypass done a second time since it was botched - they couldn't find the staples when she went in for exam! So, she went through it again... and got a hernia. It was just one thing after another.
Initially she lost a lot of weight, and got a tummy tuck two years ago. But she's also on iron supplements now, and before she had to have iron IV injections once a week.
In the past year she started gaining weight and has put a bit on - and it proves that the surgery isn't always right.
After going through all that with my mom I knew I wasn't up for it maybe happening to me, so I went for hte band. Plus I like being able to not have to worry about any malnutrtion for when we try for a baby this year. I'm only down about 35-40 lbs after a year, but I'm happy so far.
I also ahve a problem with falling off the wagon, and it happens more than I'd like - but all you can do is get over it and start new the next day. :)
You will make the right decision for you. I understand you not feeling sure. I was almost positive that I wanted the band, but still had doubts right up until surgery. It has only been 3 months, but I KNOW I made the right choice FOR ME. I think some doctors like bypass because they see it as a quick easy fix with no follow up. The band requires continuous maintenance, but that is one of the things I like about. With the band though, you have to realize it didn't come on overnight and it is going to take some time to come off. Both procedures work almost all of the time, so don't worry about failing. They will help you succeed when you never have been able to before. Keep blogging and reading blogs. It helps more than anything else I have found.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ladies! I am sorry I haven't done much on here lately..in FL...Limited internet access...=/
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your kind words and input... You all rock!!!!