I love my career I have. I do. Honestly, I am not just saying that to make myself feel better...I LOVE it, I make people better than what they were when they got to me...I may not be abe to fix it all, but I can make it so you can live again. That is VERY rewarding....
But I have settled. OT was not what I always wanted to do. Occupational Therapy for me, was a settlement...taking an easier, less stressful, less tough road out...which is what I always do. (not saying it is an easy school/degree/field to be in...medical stuff has always come easily to me, oh heck...you know what I mean.)
For the past few months (okay like 7) I have been talking with Hubby about "what-if" I go for it, do what I always have wanted to do...We talk about it...I blow it off...and then we end up talking about it again a few weeks later...It changes each time who brings it up.
His theory is: I am young. I have a degree in something else...so if I don't get through this process, I got OT to fall back on. I have always dreamed of doing it, I need to stop being a sissy ass and do it.
Pretty much, he is totally supportive of it. He has no problem helping and working more so that I can do what I need to do to do it. Thats just how he is...amazing. I am totally lucky to have landed a dude like him.
I think it just scares me. The whole idea of it. Having peoples lives in my hands...thats some scary stuff...
In spite of the fear, I have decided that in Fall of 2010 (this year) I am going to start classes...my pre-requisites...so that when we get back to the mainland in 2013 after he gets out of the Army I can apply to Medical School.
Yup. Ima do it. I am gonna shoot for it. Follow my dream. Medical School. Wow. "Dr. Nikki".
I want to be a general practitioner/family practitioner. (I used to want to be an orthopaedic surgeon, but I shake too much when I am nervous for all that.)
There are some medical schools that are actually offering scholarships for people who are going into general or family practice because of the shortage that we have...I hope to keepy my GPA up high enough to get one...
I guess now that I said it...I really gotta do it! lol. Speaking it into existance...
xoxox,
Nikki
I too went back to school - best decision I ever made!
ReplyDeleteI'm a true believer of following your passion.
Life is too short to settle. If you want to be a doctor - you go for it :-)
Good on you!!
That is so cool! Go for it. And enjoy your time with hubby.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome Nikki!! I just went today and found out what I had to do to go back to school! You can do it!
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome Nikki...good for you. I looked at doing that but at 40 felt it would put too much pressure on my kids and hubby so I chose vet nursing and am loving it. I have over 1.5 years left on my course and work as a vet nurse and it is the best decision I made. good on you
ReplyDeleteI went back to school later in life too, much later than you!! In my late 30's and I always had an interest in Medicine. After returning to school, I realize that had I started back sooner, I too would have enjoyed Medical School.
ReplyDeleteSo saying that...totally go for it!! It is your passion and you will do well!! As you said, the Country is short of Family Practitioners and you would be great at it! I would totally feel safe if you were my PCP.
You should defiantely do it if its where your heart is.
ReplyDeleteOMG - I would totally want you for my doctor. You could be my whootananny checker! No seriously - you would be the doctor everyone wants to see - just because of your caring spirit and compassion. I wasn't surprised at all when you said this...I totally see it! YOU GO GIRL! Man....if they could see you now huh? All those nay-sayers...they were wrong and you're proving it once again. Love you! Smooches.
ReplyDelete